Geometry in Architecture Project
You will be making a replica of a building then measuring it to find its surface area and volume. The building must be designed using 3 or more geometric figures. This project will use recycled materials and will be made to approximate the scale of the original building.
1. 3 Pictures of Buildings (5 points) Due 2/27
(print small in black n white or save so it can be viewed at school)
2. Building Replica (25 points) Due 3/12
- Use recycled materials
- Make replica look close to scale as possible at 6”-10” in size
- Create only the basic shape of the building
- Be sure model is securely built (well taped, glued)
3. Measuring Building (25 points) Due 3/15
- Find all measurements needed (see formulas for specifics)
- Measure to the nearest ¼ inch
- Label and list all measurements
4. Finding Surface Area and Volume (25 points) Due 3/20
- Calculate the surface area and volume for each solid showing formulas and values substituted
- Find the total surface area and total volume of the building
- Display your work in a neat, easy to read format (calculator may be used, be sure to convert back to fractions)
5. Paragraph and Presentation (20 points) Due 3/23
- Write a paragraph summarizing the purpose and process (not a step-by-step description, no first person/use of “I”)
- Display your model. picture, paragraph, measurements, and surface area and volume in a neat, appealing way
- Be sure everything on model is securely attached and writing easily read (labeled, neat, accurate)
Extra Credit: (10 points) Due 3/23
Make a collage or slideshow of how buildings reflect the culture and diversity of people.
Note: Some class time will be given for this project. See updates on assignment board.